Minutes 9th May 2016

Linton Parish Council
Bromsash Gorsley and Linton
Minutes of the Annual Council meeting held on Monday 9th May 2016 at 7.30 pm in Linton Village Hall

Present:

Cllr Jean Foley – Chairman

Cllr Ken Downham – Vice Chairman

Cllr Lyn Bryan Cllr Barry Clark

Cllr Paul Crumpton Cllr Max Gough,

Cllr Jackie Gough Cllr Luci Watkins

Clerk: Rosie Clark 9 Parishioners

1. Election of Chairman for the period 2016 to 2017
Cllr Foley was proposed by Cllr Max Gough and seconded by Cllr Crumpton and elected unanimously.

2. Chairman to sign Declaration of Acceptance of Office
Cllr Foley signed the Declaration of Acceptance.

3. Election of Vice-Chairman for the period 2016 to 2017
Cllr Downham was proposed by Cllr Crumpton and seconded by Cllr Clark and elected unanimously.

4. Chairman’s Allowance (Sub Section 5, Section 15 Local Govt Act 1972)

The Council approved the sum of £25 for the Chairman’s Allowance as outlined in the Budget for 2016/17.

5. Working Parties

Cllr Max Gough was re-appointed as member for the Allotments.

6. Representatives to other organisations
Cllr Downham was appointed to represent the Parish Council on the Linton Village Hall Committee and Cllr Clark on the Gorsley Village Hall Committee.

7. Apologies for absence

None

8. Declarations of Interest in items on the agenda and a reminder to members of their obligations under the Code of Conduct to register changes as soon as possible

None

9. Minutes of Council meeting held on 19th April 2016
Minutes were accepted and signed by the Chairman.

10. Report from the Clerk on actions requested in the minutes dated 19th April 2016, not covered elsewhere in the agenda – FOR INFORMATION ONLY
All items covered within the Agenda.

11. Report by Parish Paths Officer (PPO)
The PPO sent his apologies. The Chairman read an email that had been received from Herefordshire Council about the lack of available funding for materials for the P3 Footpaths Scheme. Further clarification required on sourcing and cost of materials.

12. Allotments business and information and agree any actions

The parish council thanked Cllr John Watkins for arranging the repair of 8 holes in the rabbit proof fence at no cost. Allotment holders to be asked not to strim right up to the netting to minimise further holes. There was discussion about letting the vacant plot as there had been no interest from advertising. There were 2 people on the waiting list, both out of parish & existing allotment holders, it was agreed to contact the first person on the list. Cllr Max Gough would also visit the allotments to look at the general condition of plots. A request was considered to approve payment for rent by 3 post-dated cheques – Cllr Foley to contact the allotment holder to discuss.

13. Update on minor road defects and other reported issues and agree actions

Progress towards reduction in speed limit by Gorsley School – in the coming weeks Balfour Beatty will be deploying speed data collection equipment in Gorsley Village. The survey equipment will comprise tubes across the road and should be in place for around seven to ten days. The purpose of the survey is to gather speed data which is one of the very first steps in the investigation of the suitability of the existing speed limits at this location. This investigation will include the B4221 and Pound Farm Lane in the vicinity of the school. Following this an initial assessment will be made and the findings and any recommendation will be circulated to the Parish Council. The Chair said this issue had been ongoing for a number of years and whilst the parish council had lobbied for the crossing and a vehicle activated sign, despite many meetings and correspondence with various representatives from Amey/Balfour Beatty and Hereford Council it had not yet been resolved. There was discussion about the speed data and whether, if the average speed recorded was within ‘acceptable’ levels, a reduction in the overall speed limit would be considered viable. It was agreed to speak with Balfour Beatty and raise concerns about safety at the current speed limit.
The Locality Steward sent his apologies and an update; he will be undertaking the annual inspection of roads within the parish over the next couple of weeks which will identify issues/potholes needing attention; he confirmed the automated sign by the school is working.

14. Lengthsman’s Report and agree additional works required

More detail to be requested on the location of signs that had brackets repaired, cheque to be signed but held pending the list being received, Clerk and Chair to agree release of payment. It was agreed that going forward more specific detail would be required on the invoice. It was suggested that a map of the parish be given to the Lengthsman, highlighting the location of works each month. The Clerk had been advised that Lea Parish Council would be in contact about sharing the cost of obtaining a waste disposal licence for the Lengthsman. No further details were available and the parish council agreed in principle that this was a sensible idea, pending receipt of additional information about costs and frequency of renewal.

15. To approve the Lengthsman’s Scheme contracts for 2016/17 with Herefordshire Council and the Lengthsman and the Lengthsman’s Risk Assessment for 2016/17

It was agreed that the contract between Herefordshire Council and the parish council be signed. The Lengthsman to be invited to the June meeting to sign the contract with the parish council.

16. Consider the impact of Lengthsman’s scheme for 2017/18 and beyond in line with information from Herefordshire Council
The Chairman outlined the proposal from Herefordshire Council for the Lengthsman and P3 Footpaths Grant funding going forward. This would result in an increasing contribution from the parish, required in order to access either of the grants and 100% of the costs falling to the parish council by 2019/20. Following discussion about the potential impact of this on the precept it was agreed to consider the options in detail at a future meeting.

17. To approve renewal of insurance cover for 2016/17

It was agreed to renew the insurance cover for 2016/17, Clerk to check if the information sign in the Quarry is covered by Natural England, if not to add it to the insurance schedule

18. Financial Matters: To approve payments and consider a donation to the Gorsley & Kilcot Queens 90th birthday event

IT WAS AGREED unanimously to pay the following invoices and cheques were duly signed.

Lengthsman (May) – £284 (pending receipt of list of works)

Clerk: Salary (May) (less tax) – £210

Expenses for May – £63.50

Hire of Gorsley Village Hall (2015/16) – £91

Community First (Insurance renewal) – £227.72

It was agreed unanimously to donate £50 to both the Gorsley & the Linton village Queens 90th birthday celebrations.

19. Consider and comment on planning applications including:

P153686/F additional information on development opposite Laburnum Cottage, Bromsash. It was agreed the parish council had no additional comments however concerns over highway issues would be reiterated.

P161143/F – Land at Laurel Cottage, Frowens Lane, Gorsley – proposed new dwelling. It was agreed that the parish council positively supported the application.

The Chairman advised that John Pugh was intending to put in an outline planning application for 5 houses on land in Bromsash, to the right of the crossroads towards Upton Bishop.

There was discussion about the parish councils’ ability to influence the location and design of planning within the parish and what was possible in retaining a village envelope. The Chairman said that having a Neighbourhood Plan was a way of limiting or directing planning, however there had been a very poor response to the consultation the parish council had undertaken on producing a plan and it had not been taken forward.

20. Report from the Chairman on the Annual Parish Meeting

The Chairman to send copies of her report to Councillors and it would be available on the parish council website. She went on to say it was disappointing that not many people had attended the annual meeting as it was an opportunity to voice issues and concerns.

21. Correspondence – FOR INFORMATION ONLY

As emailed

22. Chairman’s Announcements
None

23. Councillors’ Submissions, including Village Events

Cllr Downham praised the local postman, Daren, who had raised over £3000 running in the London Marathon.

Cllr Jackie Gough highlighted the speed of vehicles on the lane off the B4221 by the Roadmaker towards Warrens Pitch. Cllr Clark to insert a note in the Chimes about reducing speed generally on lanes in the parish.

24. Public Submissions

Farm equipment (yellow hopper) left near the brook at Warrens Pitch has been there a long time and now overgrown with vegetation, can it be removed?

Current parish council agendas and minutes not available on the website [Clerks note: there were some issues with updating the website – these have now been resolved}

25. Date of next meeting

It was RESOLVED that the next meeting will be held on Monday 13th June in Gorsley Village Hall

The meeting closed at 21.25pm